How to Edit Book Files
If you need to update the content of your book, you’ll need to submit an updated book file. The process of updating your book file is called book versioning. When you submit a new version of your book with an updated book file, customers who purchased your book will automatically be notified if the book is in their Library. They will see the release notes you included in the metadata, informing them what’s new in the updated book file. If they choose to download the new version, it will overwrite the previous book in their Library.
After you submit a new version of your book, you cannot revert to the previous version on Apple Books. If you need to make corrections, you must submit a new version.
Additional information regarding versioning can be found in the Apple Books Asset Guide.
The easiest way to submit a new version of your book depends on how your book was created:
- If you created your book in Pages, you can make changes to your files and resubmit from within the app.
- If you submitted a book via iBooks Author, you cannot replace the book with an EPUB created with Pages. However, you can import your iBooks Author book into Pages for Mac and deliver the book with a new Apple ID.
- If you used another book creation tool, use it to make your changes and resubmit the book through iTunes Producer or the Apple Books Publishing Portal.
Note: Book creation is moving to Pages. As of July 1, 2020, iBooks Author will no longer be available to new users. iBooks Author can still be used on macOS 10.15 and earlier, but there will be no new updates. Learn more.
How to update book files with iTunes Producer
- Search for your book in the Search iTunes Connect field. Do not use Open Recent.
- Make your updates.
- For cover art, book file, or screenshot updates, select the file you’re updating and press Delete. Drag the new file in to the field.
- Confirm that the metadata and pricing panes reflect the correct information.
- Save changes.
- Click Submit.
If you’re updating the book file, enter text in the “What’s New in This Version” field, found on the Details pane. What you enter here appears on Apple Books, so customers can see what updates were made.
How to update book files with Pages
If you created your book in Pages, you should make and submit your updates with Pages as well.
- Open the Pages document and make the updates to your book.
- Click “Publish to Apple Books” from the File menu.
- Follow the prompts and select “This is an update to a previously submitted book.”
- On the next screen, select the correct book title.
- Confirm that the metadata for your book is correct.
- Click Upload.
How to update book files on the Apple Books Publishing Portal
- Visit the Apple Books Publishing Portal.
- Select “Update a Previously Submitted Book” and click Continue.
- Select the book you want to update and click Continue.
- Choose the correct book file and cover image and then click Continue.
- Ensure that the metadata is correct before clicking Upload Book to iTunes Connect.
Troubleshooting book updates
Can I make updates to the book while it’s in review?
Yes. Any changes made will overwrite what was previously submitted and restart the review process.
How do I update my book’s series information?
It depends on whether your series is already linked together on Apple Books. Learn more about updating series information.