How to Edit Book Files
If you need to update the content of your book, you’ll need to submit an updated book file. Customers will be able to download the new version of the title and it will overwrite the previous book in their Library.
After you submit a new version of your book, you cannot revert to the previous version on Apple Books. If you need to make corrections, you must submit a new version.
The easiest way to submit a new version of your book depends on how your book was created:
- If you created your book in Pages, you can make changes to your files and resubmit from within the app.
- If you used another book creation tool, use it to make your changes and resubmit the book through the Apple Books Publishing Portal.
Note: Book creation is moving to Pages. As of July 1, 2020, iBooks Author will no longer be available to new users. iBooks Author can still be used on macOS 10.15 and earlier, but there will be no new updates. Learn more.
How to update book files with Pages
If you created your book in Pages, you should make and submit your updates with Pages as well.
- Open the Pages document and make the updates to your book.
- Click “Publish to Apple Books” from the File menu.
- Follow the prompts and select “This is an update to a previously submitted book.”
- On the next screen, select the correct book title.
- Confirm that the metadata for your book is correct.
- Click Upload.
How to update book files on the Apple Books Publishing Portal
- Visit the Apple Books Publishing Portal.
- Select “Update a Previously Submitted Book” and click Continue.
- Select the book you want to update and click Continue.
- Choose the correct book file and cover image and then click Continue.
- Ensure that the metadata is correct before clicking Upload Book to iTunes Connect.
Troubleshooting book updates
Can I make updates to the book while it’s in review?
Yes. Any changes made will overwrite what was previously submitted and restart the review process.
How do I update my book’s series information?
It depends on whether your series is already linked together on Apple Books. Learn more about updating series information.