Set Up a Book Pre-Order
Pre-orders are a fantastic way to get readers excited about your upcoming book. Plus, you can start building sales before you’ve even finished writing.
To set up a pre-order, you only need to provide metadata and pricing information. You can add assets like cover art, a sample file, and a book file when they're ready. Never send incomplete or dummy files.
Of course, you must provide the final book file before the release date. We recommend submitting it at least 10 business days before you want it to be available on Apple Books.
If you'd like, we can remind you when the release date for a pre-order is approaching. You can opt-in to emails reminding you to submit assets 14, 7, and 2 days before the release date. Learn more about managing notifications in Users and Roles.
If your book will not be ready in time, or if you finish your book earlier than expected, you can update the release date in iTunes Connect.
Note: A book that is offered for free cannot be made available for pre-order. Your free book will be offered on Apple Books on the scheduled release date. You can update the release date or pricing for the book in My Books on iTunes Connect.
How to set up a pre-order
You can set up a pre-order in iTunes Producer or iTunes Connect.
Note: If you’re using promo codes to market your book, and you provide your book files with your pre-order submission, customers are able to download the book after it's been approved by the Book Review team — even if it's before the official release date. Learn more about promo codes.
How to set up a pre-order in iTunes Producer
- Sign in to iTunes Producer and click Choose.
- Enter the book’s metadata in the Details pane. If your cover art isn’t ready, leave the Cover Art section blank.
- Enter the book’s territory rights and pricing in the Price pane. Provide a pre-order start date to make your pre-order available on a certain day. The pre-order start date must be at least two days before the release date. Otherwise, your book is automatically available for pre-order after it's been approved by our Book Review team.
- If your book file is not ready and you don’t want to offer a sneak peek or custom sample file during the pre-order period, leave the Files pane blank.
- Click Submit.
How to set up a pre-order in iTunes Connect
If your book is ready, you can submit your book and set a future release date in iTunes Connect. If your asset files aren't ready, set up a pre-order using these instructions:
- Go to My Books in iTunes Connect.
- Select your book.
- Click Rights and Pricing.
- Add or edit countries, regions, and pricing.
- Enter a pre-order start date at least two days before the release date.
- Select applicable countries or regions and Save.
How to update a pre-order
Any updates to pre-order start dates or price tiers should be made in iTunes Connect.
- Find your book in My Books in iTunes Connect.
- On the book detail page, click Rights and Pricing.
- Click Edit Countries/Regions and Pricing.
- Enter the new pre-order start date or price changes in the appropriate fields. Remember, the pre-order start date must be at least two days before the release date.
- Select the countries and regions where the pre-order updates should be available, or click Select All.
- Click Continue.
- Review your changes and click Confirm.
How to opt out of pre-orders
If you set a future release date, your book will automatically be available for pre-order as soon as it’s reviewed and approved. If you’re not interested in making your book available for pre-order, you can deselect “Cleared for Sale” in iTunes Producer or iTunes Connect. Just remember to update your clearances in iTunes Connect before your release date.