Apple Books Payments and Financials
Payments and Financial Reports provides finalized data for monthly earnings, amounts owed, and payments made to you. The data is based on Apple's fiscal calendar. Detailed information is available in the Payments and Financial Reports Guide.
About payment and financial reports
Financial reports are distributed once a month and are available for download exclusively through Payments and Financial Reports on iTunes Connect. Financial reports are generally available for a given month by the end of the following month. These reports are based on the Apple Fiscal Calendar. You must have the Admin or Finance role in iTunes Connect to access these reports.
What’s included in payment and financial reports
Financial reports are presented as groups of transactions, displayed in distinct rows. Each row represents a unique combination of a book, transaction type (product type identifier), price (proceeds/customer price), store, sale or return, and promo (if applicable). Each of the columns reference different aspects of a group of transactions. The columns presented are detailed in the Payments and Financial Reports Guide.
Additionally, you can see:
- Regions: To view the countries covered by each report, hover over the respective Region.
- Currencies: There is a single currency for earnings associated with each Financial Report. You can see the currencies on the left side of Payments and Financial Reports. We also offer a global financial report that displays earnings across multiple countries and currencies.
- Types of transactions: Reports only include paid transactions. To obtain free transaction reporting, view daily and weekly reporting in Sales and Trends on iTunes Connect.
Users with the Finance or Admin role can access Payments and Financial Reports on iTunes Connect and download financial reports. If you are an Admin, you can create a new user in Users and Roles on iTunes Connect.
Payments and Financial Reports are released monthly and use the Apple Fiscal Calendar.
Downloading financial reports
How to download financial reports
- From Payments and Financial Reports on iTunes Connect, click on Create Report on the top right corner.
- Select All Regions or choose an individual region.
- Click Create Reports and download them once it completes.
If you are using macOS, the reports will be downloaded and opened automatically.
If you are using Microsoft Windows, follow these steps:
- Click the Download button. Your browser will ask you whether it should open or save the report.
- Click on the Save button when the dialog box appears.
- Once you download the file (xxx.txt.gz), double click and WinZip should extract it. Once extracted you will have a tab-delimited text file (xxx.txt). If your system does not know how to open it, it will present you with a dialog box and a list of applications to choose from. You should select WinZip or an equivalent program to extract the file.
- Launch Excel.
- Go to File > Open then select the file. The Import Wizard will start.
- In the Original data type box, select Delimited and click Next.
- In the Delimiters box, select Tab and click Next.
- Select the column that has UPC, ISRC, Vendor Identifier by holding the Shift key and clicking the columns. Once selected, in the top right hand box called Column Data Format, select Text. The label above those three columns will change from General to Text. Click Finish.
- Once the file has opened, save the file as an Excel Workbook.
Using Reporter to download reports
Reporter is a command-line tool that helps you automate report downloads without using iTunes Connect. Reporter can be used for both sales and financial reports. To learn more, check out the Reporter User Guide.
Notifications about new financial reports are emailed to iTunes Connect users who have elected to receive Financial Report Type Notification emails for the corresponding territory. You can add notification types using the Users and Roles section of iTunes Connect. Learn more about setting up user notifications.
If you still aren't receiving the Financial Report notifications, contact us and we can investigate.
Financial report troubleshooting
Does the Store Currency filter convert currencies?
No, the Store Currency filter allows you to see your sales and units from customers that purchase your content with the selected currency, but it does not convert all of your sales to that specific currency.
How can I download my financial reports if I have multiple providers linked to my Apple ID on iTunes Connect?
You can still download all financial reports for these providers if you have the right user role. Simply choose a different provider from the menu in Payments and Financial Reports and on the other pages on iTunes Connect. To download your reports without using iTunes Connect, use our command-line tool, Reporter.
Why am I missing my Financial Report for a particular month?
If nothing was purchased in a region during a month, no corresponding report for that region will be generated for download on iTunes Connect.
What do the Name and Number combinations in the menu at the top of Payments and Financial Reports represent?
If you see multiple Name and Number combinations in the menu, it indicates that more than one Legal Entity has been associated with the account. Each option for selection corresponds to a different Legal Entity that has been reported to and/or paid.
What does the Earned amount represent?
The Earned amount represents the proceeds, net of commission, in a given period for the region and revenue type displayed. The amount will match the total of the associated financial report.
What is the difference between Total Owed and Proceeds?
Total Owed displays the estimated amount owed to you in the currency of each reported region and revenue type. Proceeds is an estimate of the amount due based on converting the amount owed to your bank account currency. The actual payment may differ from the proceeds based on variances in foreign exchange rates as well as reductions for applicable withholding taxes.
Why can’t I reconcile earnings amounts between my Financial Reports and Sales and Trends Reports?
Due to differences in the reporting timeframes, transaction processing, and currency exchange rates, earnings amounts on these reports will not match. Additionally, Sales and Trends reports reflect estimated earnings only; your final earnings can be found in Payments and Financial Reports. For more information, see the Sales and Trends Guide or the Payments and Financial Reports Guide.